Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My Life With Wine Thus Far

Even though I only recently turned 21 in late November, my experience with wine has not been limited to only the last two months. In addition to drunken nights in with my girlfriends, sobbing over exes and exchanging gossip, I have also been lucky enough to take advantage of the lower legal drinking ages in other countries, mostly in Europe.
I had my first sip of wine when I was fifteen in Paris. While the drinking age in France is 18, it is hardly enforced as much as it is in the United States. At a restaurant, I ordered a glass of rosette. My taste for alcohol was still growing; I was still learning that one is supposed to enjoy the feeling alcohol gives you, not the taste, and I drank very little of it over the course of dinner. I didn't drink much on that trip; I still much preferred a tasty soda as opposed to the dry taste of French wine.
It took some time, but I eventually learned that the point of alcohol is not always to enjoy the taste, but rather to enjoy the buzz it gives. I finally started drinking wine, beer, etc. when I was abroad when I was eighteen. I discovered the delights of Spanish sangria, which I enjoyed with my mom at every meal. I have also been able to enjoy wine in Ukraine and Germany, as well as beer in Switzerland and Ireland.

Vodka in Russia

Enjoying sangria with my mom in Toledo, Spain

Ukraine

Wine in Heidelberg, Germany with my mom
A beer in the Swiss Alps

At the Guinness Brewery in Dublin


When I finally hit 21 on November 29, it was not my first liason with alcohol. I have been very lucky and much of my experience thus far has been quite international. 

My taste in wine is generally sweet. Cupcake is my big go-to brand when I am in a hunch about what kind of wine to get. I also really liked the Barefoot red wine when I tried it, and it is also a big go-to brand for my red wines. However, I am always willing to experiment and try new things, especially when it comes to alcohol. Like I always say, I'll drink just about anything as long as its alcoholic.

I think my experience with alcohol can be summarized by something one of my Australian friends (they know how to party!) I met in Ireland said: "Nothing brings people together like alcohol!" I definitely can attest to that. It is a great way to meet people, especially abroad in different countries with strange people you've never met before. While I, of course, encourage responsible drinking, loosening up with a few beers at a local bar in Galway is a great way to meet locals and suddenly become best friends with people you've only met minutes ago. 

Like they say, When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Have a beer with some Irishmen. Visit a vineyard in Italy or France. Take a shot of vodka in Russia. It's surprising just how much you can learn about a culture just by sharing a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment